Saturday, January 2, 2010

spinning in daffodils

So... I do realize that I failed in the initial intent of this project. Did I update after September 1st? No. Did I write music in September 2009? Yes, but definitely not one song a day. However, I got over the stage of depression that pushed me to start writing again; as the new decade makes its immediate presence known to me and my life goals, I thought this would be a good opportunity to start my music blog. I will update on new music, my compositions, mixtapes I make, and anything that requires the use of ears. 2010 will also be the year of Corrine trying to get into grad school. I think I am mentally and emotionally prepared to be amazing. So I will try to keep the emo to a minimum here.. unless we're talking about Rites of Spring. Speaking of which, I will also take this as an opportunity to get back into Classical music. I just need to make myself as happy as I know I can be this year, because, Christ, last year was such a mess. This year I have a goal. And my experiences have done nothing but lead me to realize that life is worthless without passion. --- I stumbled across eighth blackbird's blog at Union Station on my way home to the cold, desolate suburbs. I epic failed and forgot that New Year's Day is, in fact, a holiday, therefore running on holiday schedule, so I had about an hour to kill at the train station. I am extremely claustrophobic in non-urban environments, so I was looking for something- anything- to keep me from thinking and getting upset. I looked up grad school programs in UIC and eighth blackbird's website was one of the links. I don't really know that much about them other than they're a new musc ensemble and some of their members are also members of ICE. I remember my old Adderall dealer saying something about them doing Schoenberg's Pierrot Lunaire somewhere in Chicago last month... oh, so THAT kind of new music. After reading their blog, it turns out Steve Reich wrote a piece specifically for them, called Double Sextet, and he was cool enough to send e-mail notes after hearing each rehearsal as he wrote the three movements. It reminded me of the rush, excitement, nervousness of first rehearsals. Not knowing if what you wrote is playable. Getting called out if you wrote whack parts. Obvious sucking. But it questioned a composer's direct association with the ensemble for whom he/she writes/envisions. I mean, you know your instruments, you kind of know their skill level, hopefully, if you're lucky enough to be in that situation, and you know the music you hear in your head. The communication of brain waves through notes and rests... that's when music is made. But sculpting that language so the performer hears EXACTLY what you hear in your brain and executes it rightfully so... that's when composition happens. Justice has to be made on both parts, or else it's worth nothing. Do I really believe that? I came across Matt Albert's Top 10 Moments in 2009 List, I thought it was brilliant. My favorite passage is also his #1 moment.
1) Denk Ives performance, Ojai Saturday morning at Ojai, Jeremy Denk walked on stage and played the Ives First Sonata as if it were written for him. Which, I think, in retrospect, it was. Only an audience member for this, but since my career as a performer requires so many people to be our audience, it’s fitting to recognize this kind of experience as my top moment of 09. It’s become my challenge for 10: every time I walk onstage, make my best effort to allow our music to affect someone profoundly. Take risks, find the seams and unleash my own reality with every piece we play. If Jeremy can do it, so can we.
Unleashing my own reality... that is also my goal for 2010. To spill it out on a stage or on staff paper, to not be scared to let it all out, to be judged, ridiculed, and if lucky, to grow, learn, transition... to make things right. 


Listening to: Them Crooked Vultures, s/t (2009); Andrew Bird, Noble Beast (2009); The Eagles, "I Can't Tell You Why" from The Long Run (1979); Grizzly Bear, Veckatimest (2009)
You should listen to: eighth blackbird: http://www.eighthblackbird.com/recordings I recommend listening to/purchasing "Fred," which was a piece written by Frederic Rzewski in 2000. There's also useful info about both the ensemble and the composer on said link.

No comments:

Post a Comment