Thursday, January 14, 2010

Best of 2009 Mixtapes

I've been doing "best of" mixtapes for the past like three years or so. 2009 was no different. A lot of good music came out last year, but according to Last.Fm, I listened to more Radiohead and Wilco than anything else. So I guess the classics never die.

Best of 2009: Side A (Download)

Best of 2009: Side B (Download)



I fell in love a lot in 2009.. more than I usually do in one year. Thom Yorke's cover is probably my favorite track of the year. Grizzly Bear's harmonies are my favorite moments of music as well. I first met AFI's album Crash Love (and Davey's new hair style) with hesitation and a little bit of resentment, but ended up listening to it more than other indie rock records with critical acclaim. My favorite discovery of 2009: The XX. So simple, so minimal, so parallel to my own life. The Antlers' Hospice had its moments, and it's probably more like a song cycle than a modern-day record, but I didn't find myself listening to it as much as I thought I would. Maybe because it's totally depressing. Daisy is also on my top 10 records of '09.. when is Brand New going to do something i DON'T like? Just when I thought they couldn't really go anywhere from YFW to TDAG.. once again, the Long Islanders prove me wrong (I will say that I like Jesse's songwriting infinitely more than Vinnie's.. no offense Mr. Accardi, Jesse just writes better). Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix was catchy, but there were only about four songs I liked on the record.. to Phoenix's defense, those four songs were better than most of the singles released in '09. I'd say the only real disappointment this year was the new Wilco. And, if you know me, that's kind of a big deal.

Anyway, enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment